Our family recently played Wii Fit together and it said I lost 6 pounds in 65 days. I guess that's good since we just went through the holidays. The sad part is… the last time I played was 65 days ago. J My wife challenged me to perform The Tree yoga position after I said I could do it... Big mouth! I guess I got what I deserved, but I did it successfully. After playing the Wii for a few minutes, I always get sucked in… so I tried a Ski Jumping balance game. That was a lot of fun especially when you FAIL! Wii Fit is like a collection of mini-games that you play for a few minutes each to help build strength, balance, focus, and endurance. It gives you a little workout and it’s loads of fun.
We receive Error: 32002 every time we attempt to update the Wii to the current version. My kids can play games using the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection without any problems. We can access the Everybody Votes Channel & the Check Mii Out Channel. What I don't understand is why I even need to tell the system to download the update. The stupid Wii Connect 24 should just download it for me and then ask me if I want to install it. Then I wouldn't need to take the Wii somewhere with a faster Internet connection. For as cool as I think the Wii is... this is the only thing that really bothers me.
Since I am such a whiner about Nintendo's stupid broken crap, I will list the things we love about the Wii.
- We can send messages (even audio messages with Wii Speak) to other people we know who also have a Nintendo Wii and it shows our Mii character as the sender.
- We can download/purchase classic games we played years ago for NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16, and NEO GEO through the Virtual Console.
- We can also play our Nintendo GameCube games in the Nintendo Wii. Just slip the media into the Wii and Blammo!
- Gadgets... OMG the Gadgets!! (Wii Wheel, Wii Zapper, Wii Speak, Wii Remote, and coming soon: Wii MotionPlus)
- They keep adding new features (Wi-Fi Enabled Games, Wii Channels, WiiWare, and the Wii is now a DS Download Station for the Nintendo DS). Some of the games even come with their own channel, which means you don’t need the media every time you want to play the game. Mario Kart for Wii also shows you where in the world you care playing against… very cool.
- The Wii Remote is certainly something unique. I have never seen anything quite like it. The delayed reactions of the Wii Remote controller really bugged me at first. Now that I have got used to it, they are releasing the Wii MotionPlus add-on with Wii Sports Resort. The add-on will remove the delayed reactions... very exciting!
What I think they should add or change (not whining):
- The ability to earn Wii Points or Coins by using the features they keep adding and/or when you register games you have purchased.
- Integrate Wii MotionPlus into the latest generation Wii Remotes.
- Supply standard AA rechargeable batteries with the Wii Remotes & some kind of base station for charging them. (These things just gobble up the juice!)
- Put more Wii Consoles in the marketplace. A person still cannot purchase a Wii without feeling lucky (Either it’s really this popular or Nintendo sucks at producing these things... maybe they like it this way...keeps it mysterious). An employee at Walmart in Bellingham, WA told me that they received 249 Wii Consoles at Noon on December 23rd, 2008 and by 6:00PM the same day, all but one were gone!
Our oldest just told me that her new game called Animal Crossing: Wild World can connect to the Internet and talk to her friends. Each person must know an identifying number to access each other over the Internet. Then I discovered that the Nintendo DS only supports WEP only wireless encryption. Lame! Evidently there is a new version called the Nintendo DSi that will support WPA & WPA2, however... it appears to be limited to new services.
Recently, Nintendo changed the “My Nintendo” portion of their website to “Club Nintendo”. You can now receive coins for registering your purchased products and completing a survey. Then you can acquire Nintendo products with your coins. Some of the products are exclusive to Club Nintendo like the item we ordered. We ordered the Nintendo Game & Watch Collection for DS, which is a DS recreation of some ancient handhelds. I played the ancient recreation and found it as annoying today as it was back then… must practice!
***Update to the Update***
As I was updating my blog, I was asked by my daughter if she could update the Wii and I said sure.... knowing that the update will fail with the previously mentioned error. This must be the 17th time we attempted to update the Wii. It worked!!! We updated the Nintendo Channel and started trying the DS Download Play demos until about 1:00AM.